There are a lot of iPad keyboards out there and even more iPad keyboard reviews. After looking at all of them online and playing with none, I still think that one that deserves lots of love is the Logitech Fold-Up Keyboard. These are the features I love that you won’t find in any one keyboard out there, past or present.
- Kick stand that keeps the stand from falling backwards.
- Space for a Smart Cover to attach.
- Works on iPad 2, 3, and 4. Awaiting testing on the iPad Air, although it’s nothing a little Sugru couldn’t fix.
- iPad physically snaps in.
- Hides keys away safely when folded down.
- Chiclet keys
- Mac layout with mostly US layout without questionable keys and placements, eg.
return key is normal
fn, control, alt/option, cmd are intact at the bottom left
both shift buttons aren’t split in half with weird characters filling the void
- If I want it to work with the iPad Air, I can tape some paper to compensate for the thinner body and narrow width.
My wishlist for the next version that will never come.
- I would prefer to have dedicated media buttons though.
- fn+delete is the lock function, but I use that to delete characters to the right (like most keyboards would understand).
- I wouldn’t mind being able to charge the iPad from the keyboard battery, but I’m not a terribly mobile person to begin with.
- Dedicated media buttons.
- Left Shift+left option+right won’t select words for me. Not sure if it’s my keyboard or all Fold-Up Keyboards.
- Switching between multiple Bluetooth devices would be great. I could switch between my Raspberry Pi, iPad, and Apple TV.
- Now they are backlighting these Bluetooth keyboards. Yeah, why not?
All that considered, I understand why it wouldn’t appeal to everyone. All the same, I love it.
What someone needs to build is an enclosure that combines the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad into an iPad Pro configuration.